Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Colors Of Life....

I had a lovely afternoon yesterday spending time on the phone with a friend. I learned a lot and gained a little glimpse into the life of someone I referred to in my blog from Wednesday, January 27, 2010 titled "An Angel Among Us". I have had first hand experience with cancer with in my own family but I had no idea that they have a different color ribbon for the different types of cancer. I feel like I have been living in a bubble or perhaps under a rock. I had a family member with breast cancer and I knew the pink ribbon because that is for the most part what I see and hear about is the pink breast cancer awareness ribbon.

Well to my surprise there are many colors in that rainbow of ribbons, actually there are 26 colors. I also found out about another special angel, this angel was my friends personal angel! My friend had been given nothing but bad news, no hope, no encouragement or positive direction in which to go. My friend sat beside a little old gentleman at M.D. Anderson in Houston waiting her turn to see if they had a miracle to offer. As she relayed the visit to me the gentleman asked her what she was in for? A sense of humor in a place you would perhaps not expect someone to have at that time. She told him she was terminal and he started telling her his story. He had also been very seriously fighting his own cancer demon. He had started specified medical trail treatments for his particular cancer just a mere 10 weeks prior to meeting my friend. On that very day he was expecting to receive confirmation that he was clear of his cancer!

This was the first time she had heard anyone give her any hope or the possibility of life and the future. A gift from one angel among us to another. I do not know this angel that my friend met, but if I did I would thank him for this gentleman gave my friend a gift that know one else had up to that point. Just by a simple chat with a stranger in a waiting area, he gave the gift of hope!

Support M.D. Anderson in their successful work in the fight against cancer. They are making incredible strides that could affect and change the lives for many of us now and in the future!

http://www.mdanderson.org/

No comments: