Thursday, January 28, 2010

To My Caregiver Friends

I have quite a few friends that are being caregivers for their parents right now. They are all in different situations with various circumstances. At this time they are all taking care of their mothers. It is a difficult, stressful and sometimes full filling time of life. One of my friends is losing her mother to cancer and she said it has been hard, but very healing as well. The have fought like hell, cried, laughed and talked about their life's journey. Really, is there anything in the world you would ultimately trade for that little bit of precious time or a small gift of a truly beautiful moment that can come from this time together? I myself did not talk to my own father for years, but my mother made a point of taking me to see him after his cancer diagnosis. Trust me on this, I was not happy that I was tricked into the visit. However, once I got home I called him and we talked a lot that last year! I would not trade that year for anything in the world. I had a chance to have my daddy back, the daddy I had as a little girl. So to my mom, I love you and thank you for the push I needed, so I can now say I don't have to live with any regrets about not reconnecting with my dad while I had the chance. If you are wondering, I was with him when he left this earth.

The little miracles that you can pull out of these times may be ultimately surprising. Many of us may face the fact that we will be a caregiver for a loved one at some point in our life. I hold deep admiration and respect for all of my friends who are going through this and for those of you who will. I understand that it can be a very trying time, but if you can find small moments that you can pull from these difficult times I do believe with all my heart you can take away some very special moments that you will cherish, value and remember forever! So remember what a great person you are and what a fantastic job you are doing and how special each and everyone of you are for doing it!

No comments: