Monday, February 1, 2010

The Battle Is Raging Over The Phrase "Who Dat"

The NFL says they have trademarked the phrase that has been around for 150 years. There are two brothers who say they have owned it since before the inception of the New Orleans Saints in 1966. The battle is just getting started so it seems. The NFL has now sent out cease and desist letters to vendors selling merchandise with different variances of the Saints logo and "Who Dat". There is the question of whether it is public domain or owned by the NFL or anyone else for that matter. The NFL states they are not trying to stop everyone who uses the fleur-de-lis logo and the phrase "Who Dat" just when they are used in combination in regards to the Saints and the team logo.

I find it sad because I feel the state of Louisiana needs this boost not only for the economy but as a morale boost as well. The Governor has contacted the Attorney General to help fight for the rights of the citizens of Louisiana. I am quite sure that the NFL coined the phrase "Who Dat" because so many of them are Cajuns from Louisiana. For a phrase that has been around for the last 150 years and I wonder if they will now lay claim to the spelling of the phrase "Geaux Saints" as well?

Oh and as a side note, yes I am a die hard Dallas Cowboy football fan, and after all this is only my humble female opinion. I personally would NEVER have gone out and hired a college QB who was going to be second string his senior year in college and start him in the NFL. Having said that, I must also include that I have never seen a QB who could throw such a beautifully arched spiralling pass directly into the chest of the opposing team. Quincy Carter......

1 comment:

Janie said...

It is very interesting to me that the NFL is claiming the phrase "Who Dat?" when it actually began back in the 1800 and 1900's with vaudeville and minstrel shows. From my recollection, the NFL was not around at that time. I remember my grandfather saying "who dat" to me when I was a child. It is actually one of my favorite memories of some of his and my time together.