Saturday, April 24, 2010

Good Bye Shelia

I am saying good bye to Shelia who is afraid to step to far over the line in expressing herself. I am very passionate about certain things and I have let a few comments cause me to edit myself and not say somethings that I have really felt compelled to say, well no more. Every American should be aware, informed and inquiring on their own. I do not know anyone who has not known someone affected by health issues. If you did not watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution you can go the website below and watch every one of the shows in their entirety as well as the Oscar winning documentary "Food Inc.". I have been following Jamie in his journey and I watched Food Inc. Friday morning on PBS.org. They first aired the documentary on Wednesday night April 21st. They are now streaming it live via the web until April 29th, 2010, lucky for me and anyone else who missed it. Both of these should be required viewing for everyone.

After watching Food Inc. Friday morning and then watching Jamie's last show it all came keenly into crystal clear focus in a major OMG moment. To witness the fight that Jamie has been fighting and to see how it slammed like a speeding train into the message from Food Inc. was astonishing.

The conglomerate of companies that now own our food here in American and dictate to our farmers and in turn to each and every American on what we eat is more than disturbing. I encourage everyone to grow some of your own fruits, vegetables and herbs if at all possible. Shop at farmers markets, buy as much locally grown as well as organic produce as possible and seek out organic farm raised meat sources instead of the supermarket offerings.

I myself recently started a new type of garden because I have limited space, called a straw bale garden. I blogged about it and I have been posting on facebook. I went to the farmers market yesterday and then stopped by the feed store where I purchased my straw bales, I spoke to the owner and found that there is someone in my area that raises grass feed organic beef. I am thrilled and plan on contacting them and visiting their farm as soon as possible.

You owe it to yourself and the ones you love to watch these two shows. I really hope that you do, I also realize that just because this is a passionate subject for me does not mean that it will be for everyone else. But all you really have to do is take a look at the health of Americans and that should be enough for you to be at the very least, more than just a little curious...

http://www.pbs.org/pov/foodinc/photo_gallery_watch.php
The documentary Food Inc. is available for purchase on Amazon as well you can find the link at PBS.org.


http://abc.go.com/shows/jamie-olivers-food-revolution

2 comments:

Mommy Chaos said...

Shelia, I for one TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU 100%!! Thank you for letting me know about the PBS link. I am going to sit down with my husband tonight to watch Food, Inc. Just as an example of health issues caused by our diets. I have a close friend that has a VERY RARE blood disorder that has casued him to have one heart surgery & numerous mini-strokes at the young age of only 36 yrs old!!! The doctors DO NOT KNOW what causes this blood disorder & it is so rare that there are less than 50 known cases in the US. The FIRST THING THE DOCTORS DID WAS REGULATE HIS DIET! Gee, I wonder why? He now takes a blood thinner & can't eat certain foods but also eats as much NATURAL, ORGANIC FOOD AS POSSIBLE. This small change has made dealing with his blood disorder much more managable. He hasn't had anymore mini-strokes since changing his diet. Whoever thinks what you eat & the chemicals in/on it don't matter should think again! This could have been YOU! BE THANKFUL FOR YOUR HEALTH & TREAT IT LIKE A GIFT. IT CAN BE TAKEN AWAY AS QUICKLY AS THE LORD HAS GIVEN IT TO YOU!

Shelia Harris said...

Mommy Chaos,
Thank you so much for your comment, let me know what you and your husband think after watching Food Inc.
Shelia Harris